Meditation is very difficult to define in concrete terms. It is not just about sitting down on a mat and closing the eyes for some time thinking that we have been meditating.
It usually happens that we brood over problems and think of external happenings while in this so-called state of meditation. This is definitely not meditation.
Although the eyes may be closed, there is no guarantee if the mind is thinking about the outside world. Or maybe about a cup of coffee, lunch, work, the next movie, girlfriend or any other distractions. This is merely like living in the outside world with the eyes closed.
Meditation is beyond this inner or outer interaction with the world.
We can describe meditation as a scientific practice where we train our mind or induces a mode of consciousness. Thus this new mode of consciousness helps us to realize some benefits. It also allows the mind to simply acknowledge its content without becoming identified with that content, or as an end in itself.
It is a way of unlocking our soul’s infinite potential. Also, it provides a direct way of freeing the attention from life’s distractions, stilling the turbulent and restless thoughts that keep us knowing our real self.
By disciplining our mind through meditation, we learn to concentrate within, thus discovering our centre of unshakable peace and joy. By gradually progressing through meditation, we experience an ever-increasing peace and joy that comes directly from the soul.
The main goal of meditation is to pave the way for a blissful divine communion with God. Also, our soul must realize its complete oneness with the Divine.
Meditation utilizes concentration in its highest form. Concentration consists in freeing the attention from distractions and focusing it on any thought in which one may be interested.
Thus, meditation is that special form of concentration where a person liberates his attention from restlessness and focuses on GOD.
Benefits of meditation
Meditation has multiple benefits. Through regular practice, subtle transformations take place in our body, mind, and inmost consciousness. Some of these benefits are experienced right away while others unfold progressively and may take more time to become apparent.
- One of its fruits is inner peace. As a result come greater clarity, understanding, and guidance from within.
- It improves our concentration which makes us more efficient and productive at work. This, in turn, brings objectivity and intuitive knowledge of how to address the problems that arise in the course of our daily life.
- It brings greater harmony and joy to relationships and family life, thus awakening the capacity to give and receive unconditional love.
- It harmonizes the life forces in the body. This helps remove harmful stress and promoting health and vitality.
- Above all, it helps to attune our consciousness to the Divine. This gives us an unshakable inward happiness and security amidst all circumstances of life, among others.
Thus, in order to achieve the required results, we must make a huge effort and show great willpower while meditating. This is the only way that will enable us to achieve our ultimate goal in life.
Hence, our ultimate goal is to seek union with God through Self-realization and ever new bliss.